You can link to some powerful TexShare databases that provide some pretty amazing information! If you have not already taken the time to explore, when you have a free moment click on the research tab and take a look around.
One thing I used frequently at my previous job was the Dallas Morning News Historical Archive 1885-1977 * What was neat about it was actually seeing a ditigal image of the newspaper from 1885, 1925, or 1965 as it appeared on the day it was available in print! You can also see how the look of the paper evolved.
In Dallas I did not have access to this, but I found it (and the others like it) very useful to our patrons at DG--no space to keep older news editions :
Houston Chronicle (Digital Image Edition) *
These are just 2 of many sources from one category---there are so many more!!
Each library system participating in the TexShare program implements their own methods to access TexShare databases. Most libraries I have worked with have had a special password patrons must obtain from their library in order to access this information from home.
I was curious about how HPL handles this, and after a little investigating yesterday (Thanks Eric, Dionne and Patricia Bustamante for your assistance!) I was informed that the databases are directly accessible if patrons are at the library, but in order to access it from home, a patron would need to enter their library card number and last name.
I haven't tried accessing from home yet, but I will. If you get a chance to do so, I would appreciate it if you let me know if you were successful. I just want to know what to tell patrons when I inform them of the powerful tools they have at their fingertips via the HPL Library webpage.
ENJOY YOUR DAY!
Carolina
For more info on TexShare:
TexShare is a cooperative program designed to improve service to Texans. Members include public libraries that belong to the regional library systems, academic libraries, and libraries of clinical medicine. TexShare enables libraries to offer a broader range of materials and services than any single library can provide for its constituents.
No comments:
Post a Comment