SWX 832-393-2660--- MON 11-6--- TUE 12-8-- WED 10-6-- THU 11-6-- FRI 1-5-- SAT 10-5-- SUN Closed----- WAL 832-393-2500--- MON Closed--- TUE 10-6-- WED 10-6-- THU 12-8-- FRI 1-5--- SAT 10-5-- SUN Closed

Friday, August 22, 2008

Hey, I'm Working On A Bus!!

I'm Donald B. Mayne, the new guy at HPL Express Southwest. Please call me Don. To summarize my short time here, so far, so good. Really good, in fact. I couldn't be too much happier. I'm thrilled to begin my library career in earnest here.


When I was told that I would be working on the HPL Express Mobile Unit, my initial response was, "I won't be driving the bus, right?" I was assured that no, I will not be drving the bus. Believe me, the fact that I won't be driving the bus should be assuring for everyone.

Seriously though, libraries (all public institutions, really) constantly struggle to prove their relevance to the communities they serve. Judging by what I've seen here, we're serving our immediate community quite well. The Mobile Express Unit takes the notion of serving communities a step further, a great big one. In brief, the Mobile Unit allows us to go to the patrons, to entire communities even, to fulfill a variety of needs. This represents something truly progressive, and I'm proud to be part of it.

So hey, I'm gonna be working on a bus!! I'm pretty stoked.

No comments: